Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Primitives

From: George Capehart <capegeo () opengroup org>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 20:24:51 -0500

"Marcus J. Ranum" wrote:

David Lang wrote:
this is only close to complete if you define a firewall as a packet filter
of some sort.

Excellent point. I submit for your consideration the observation
that firewall primitives should _all_ be connection-oriented. For
services that are not inherently connection-based, an effective
firewall should simulate connections to the best of its ability.

even if you tried to extend the type to include things like HTTP/FTP/etc
you still will need other parameters to configure the proxies.

I also suggest you consider firewall primitives should include
content searching - either on originated or returned content,
as well as vectoring to a VPN or trusted interface. Possibly
also include primitives for redirecting traffic and possibly
simulating a session start, so the firewall can interact
effectively with things like honeyd.

This is interesting.  So, a firewall really should/could/might be a
multi-layer, multi-protocol switch . . .