Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Administrivia and spam rate - OFF TOPIC FOR FW..DEAD ON FOR SECURITY

From: "Norm McLeod" <normcleod () charter net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:42:56 -0600

Dear Sir...and list

You, and most, consider PGP to be the deFacto standard in digital
signatures, and encryption. I of course, agree, except that in my
business experience, PGP is too hard to use for most users, you know,
the ID-10-T syndrome.

AS a matter of course, excluding other digital signatures (such as the
NIST standard), precludes functionality that WILL be implemented in the
near future.

I foresee a time where corporate email users will be stopped at the Mail
server IF the email is NOT digitally signed, and in S/MIME format.

I see corporations getting lawyers in on the email virus issue, and
liability placed, whereby, a corporation that does NOT stop the spread
of these script kiddies be held partially accountable. TO implement
this, email would only be accepted if it can be determined where it came
from. Hence digital signatures...... Signed by a 3rd party CA, which
precludes PGP. I personally have stopped using PGP, since the 9-11
incident, so the NSA has less to do. I expect they capture virtually all
PGP encrypted email, and give it the once over. Whereas, the Microsoft
Crypto API (IMHO) has a back door for them to easily look inside. There
is nothing I can think of that I would try to hide from the NSA (as long
as they didn't share it with certain other governmental agencies...lol),
actually not then, except for the fact that IF I want privacy in this
country, I should have it.

OK... Rambling over

As a list administrator, I certainly understand your rules, but to open
up discussion on these issues, I replied.

Norm McLeod

digital signature attached (www.thawte.com) (NOT THIS TIME)

vCard attached for contact information (NOT THIS TIME)