Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN through DSL

From: Yang Lee <ylee () net50 com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:37:15 -0500 (EST)

Your company may be  using Radius+securID for VPN
authentication. The normal way of laying out this is like:

VPN client (Nortel Extranet client) -> VPN Gateway (Nortel VPN Gateway)
<-> Authentication Server (Radius/Tacacs) <-> Token Server (securID)

Basically, your office VPN is using central Radius or Tacacs for remote
authentication. The reason to use securID is because it's more secure than
normal password. You can say that it's a dynamic password authentication
device. Notice, some company's VPN solution skip Authentication Server
layer as descripted above. The pro and con is not within our discussion
range.

From your messages, it's seem that your securID account is disable. By
default, after 10 consecutive failed login effort, securID server will
disable your account automatically (evasion-of-attack). In order to enable
it, you have to contact your securID server administrator.

Since the whole process involved many links, you may try to identify where
it's broken. I'll try to make sure that somebody else can connect to the
same VPN gateway from other place using securID. From my experience, some
type of Nortel VPN gateway has bug implementing direct securID support.

Aslo, you may double check with your network connection by pinging the VPN
gateway. And you may also want to make sure VPN ports is not blocked if
there is any firewall/ACL between your VPN client and VPN gateway.

Hope this help. Good luck.

#Yang Lee                                  #
#Sr. Internet Security Engineer, Net2phone #
#Tel. 973-412-3556                         #
#Email. ylee () net2phone com                 #
#Disclaimer:                               #
#My opinion here does not represent my     #
#employer's in any way                     #