Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: stealth firewalls

From: Nate Campi <nate () campin net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:49:07 -0800

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 02:00:53PM -0700, Irwin Lazar wrote:
I'm reading up a bit on stealth mode firewalls and was wondering what the
industry view is toward these types of boxes.  From my research, stealth
mode firewalls act as LAN switches or bridges, and do not actively modify
the packets they process (such as decrementing TTL).  Is this correct?

It seems there are some obvious advantages to stealth mode firewalls since
they are completely hidden at the IP layer, but I'm wondering if there are
any significant drawbacks.  It seems that products are limited, only Sun's
SunScreen & BSD Linux support this functionality.

Any thoughts?

Most firewalls hosted on general-purpose UNIX hosts can't handle the
large amounts of traffic that many of us would need to throw at it.

Recently my work needed syn-flood protection for a network where
outgoing traffic filled the two 100mbit uplinks, and only dedicated
devices could fill this niche. The one they use is uses the same
approach, essentially bridging the traffic.
--
Nate Campi     http://www.campin.net    GnuPG key: 0xC17AEF79

One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas
I'll never know.  - Groucho Marx