Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: stealth firewalls

From: Peter Lukas <plukas () oss uswest net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:09:47 -0600 (CST)

A knee-jerk pre-coffee thought is that these types of firewalls can
represent a breach in connectivity from a networking perspective. since
they transparently analyze and permit/deny/reject/encrypt/scan traffic,
the saturation point may interfere with traffic flow. As they may also be
installed as a "tap" on the line, having problems with the device may
knock out connectivity (so can gateway firewalls/routers/etc, though).

It represents an ideal firewall insertion scenario as the network doesn't
need to be re-IP'd or re-routed since the magic box sits relatively
invisibly on the wire.

I've run it in Small Office/Home Office DSL/cablemodem/ISDN settings with
good success using both FreeBSD and Linux. One thing to note is that under
linux, some network adapter drivers (Linux's 8139too) don't take well to
this and may drop more traffic than they allow.

Peter

Standard Disclaimer:
"This message has not been screened with /bin/lawyer and has potential to
ignite flames from overzealoused know-it-all's."