Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: present day admin skills

From: George Capehart <capegeo () opengroup org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:14:55 -0500

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 08:40:45PM -0500, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 11:40:57AM -0500, George Capehart wrote:
Sometimes the Right Answer (TM) is "I appreciate your interest but this
falls outside our area of expertise and we feel like we would be doing
ourselves and you a disservice by attemtping to do this."

I've given that answer on occasion.  Of course, it's a judgement call: if,
say, I'm familiar with 80% of the problem space and it looks like the other
20% isn't particularly nebulous, risky, or ill-defined, I'll probably take
it on.  If, on the other hand, I find myself saying "Wha...?" constantly
as I read the statement of work, then the best thing I can do for a
client is turn my palms up, admit that I'm in over my head, and offer to
help find them someone who eats this stuff for breakfast.  The trick, of
course, is to do this up-front so that nobody gets burned or upset by it. ;-)

*Exactly*!

Much to my chagrin, however, I've turned down work on several occasions,
only to find that someone even *less* qualified than me has managed to
land it.  They invariably botch it, leaving me wondering if, at worst,
I could have at least done better than *that*, and if, in the end, I really
did the best thing that I could for my client or myself.

Yep.  Had that happen, too.  More than once.  In the end, though, for me,
personally, I still believe I did what was best for both me and my client.
I can't keep an uneducated customer from making a bad decision, (I say
uneducated because if the customer really knew what he/she was doing and
really knew whether the candidate had the appropriate skills, then he/she
would not want to engage me in the first place) but I *can* protect myself.
It's been my experience that I have work a lot harder to manage naive
customers' expectations (and therefore "do a good job") than I do to
manage the expectations of sophisticated customers.  In the case you
described above, even if you had been able to do a marginally better job
than did the person who took it, the chances are pretty high that it
*still* would not satisfy the customer.  Unless he/she is *so* clueless
that they have no idea at all of what they wanted . . .  but then that's
another topic and another black hole that I'd prefer to avoid . . .

I don't see how an 18-year-old anything can be good . . .  ;->

Oh, I do.  I've seen a couple who were amazingly competent, professional,
organized, and hard-working.  Granted, they're rare -- maybe even very rare --
but I would never rule them out based on age.  Same for a 58-year-old.
Competence, problem-solving abilities, cogent writing skills -- all these
things are hard to find, and when they show up combined in one person,
my first thought is to grab 'em and consider any gaps in their background
as (mostly) minor problems To Be Solved Later.  Clueful people adapt -- fast.

Point taken . . . to a point.  Agreed that there are people of all ages
who are amazingly competent, professional, organized and hard-working.
Absolutely.  And, there are too few of us if you ask me. ;->  The point I
wanted to make in my glibness was that, no matter how good a person is,
the longer they do it, the better they get.  Guess it's just a question of
where we put the "good bar" . . .

To bring this back around to firewalls: I (mostly) regard the entire area
as a lot of unexplored territory.  As far as I can tell, even the experts
in the area spend a lot of their time going "What the !@%?"  -- which isn't
surprising, given how new all this knowledge is, how fast attack methodologies
are evolving, how fast Internet services are changing, and so on.  I think
a lot of what we do is "make it up as we go along" because we have to:
while some "best practices" are well documented, there just isn't a cookbook
approach to nearly anything we do.  And because of that, it's hard to find
"the best person" for these kinds of tasks: it really seems to demand
a problem-solving, investigative, nit-picking, determined sort of mind,
and well, those aren't in large supply.  (Aside: unless, of course, the

Sounds like you just nailed the skills needed by "the best person," and,
you're right, they aren't in large supply.  Guess that means it's a
seller's market, huh?  :-)