Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: stealth firewalls

From: Dave Mitchell <dave () jnsnet com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:43:39 -0700

Irwin,
  Netscreen's line of firewalls allow you to run in bridged or routing mode
and provide stateful inspection inbound/outbound and more. I've used these for quite
a while, and they work well in bridging mode. They have a loopback IP
"system-ip" that *can* be configured for management. Using the "sys-ip" allows
one to  configure a VPN using this as the tunnel endpoint.

It's a hardware based appliance, and gets very good throughput. Throughput
obviously depends on the model. The NS5-XP has two 10mb/fd interfaces and
the more expensive models have 3 or more 100mb/fd. Obviously performance
will degrade based on the type and number of IPSec tunnels.

-dave