Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: RE: present day admin skills

From: "Jason Lewis" <jlewis () packetnexus com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:09:47 -0500

<snip> Ron's excellent response </snip>

I have found there are two types of people.

Those that bust their ass to learn something new.  They will put in extra
hours to "figure it out", they take work home, they study up on everything,
they subscribe to more mailing lists than they can possibly read.  The
people that are at work early in the morning and late at night.  If you ask
these people a question they either know the answer or go find it.  I think
I am one of these people and have found I enjoy working with other people
like this.  I actually search them out.  I currently work with 5 people like
this.  It is like a well-oiled machine.  You can give each team member a
task and it gets done....correctly.....and on time.  If you have ever worked
with people like this you know what I mean.  Stress is greatly reduced
because you don't have to worry about the guy next to you doing his part.

Then there are those that make excuses for why things don't get done.  They
can't seem to "get it".  They make the simplest task difficult, because they
don't take an extra hour to learn the correct way to do things.  These
people coast along until something catastrophic happens and that is when
they try to get with the program.  I avoid these people.  They have no
problem giving the first type more work, or let the first type TAKE their
work.  I often find this type loves to take credit for work they didn't do.
They waste my time asking questions that are VERY basic.  Most of them seem
to get by with fast talking.

If any of this made you angry, it probably hit a nerve.

jas