Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: (no subject)

From: Greg Hastings <gregh () forestenterprise com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:21:31 +1100

        What it looks like is a problem I've hit - you may need to set your
DNS settings on the individual PC's on your network to append the ISP's
default suffix (for my ISP it was vic.bigpond.net.au) to the server name.
When you are sending/receiving mail it looks like your mail program is
searching for a server 'mail' (no DNS suffix).  This is WAY too generic - it
needs the fully qualified domain name, for example mail.yahoo.com (ONLY an
example - don't use it).  So change your DNS settings on the PC your are
using to append the ISP's suffix and you should be right.

        By the way the router settings for ACLS should be allowing SMTP and
POP (ports 25 and 110 respectively).  Not SMTP both ways.  Otherwise sending
mail will work, but you won't be able to fetch at all.

Regards
Greg Hastings
gregh () forestenterprise com