Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: GIDS, Intrusion Prevention: A Firewall by Any Other Name

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 00:49:37 -0400

Iván Arce wrote:
IDS adopters on the other hand have gone a step
further in their assumptions, here the rationale is that
they can NOT stop  all the attacks, sometime somewhere
there will be someone good enough to bypass the poorly
configured firewall so here is ideas is "if I cannot stop them all
at least I will try to be informed as soon as I detect a successful
attack" (think a NIDS on the trusted side of the FW or a HIDS).
So in my opinion adopting IDS technologies imply a conceptual
change in term of what is expected from the firewall technology,
the adopter is giving in to the idea of not being able to
stop all the attacks.

I think that's a useful distinction, but in a lot of ways it's
also an implementation detail. When I say that firewalls/IDS/AV/VPN
are "really the same thing" I mean that the data flows should
look like approximately this inside:

input:
        if we've been told to encrypt it to someplace else {
                encrypt it and tunnel it //VPN
                GOTO input
        }

        if it came in on a VPN channel {
                decrypt and verify its origin // VPN
                if origin does not verify {
                        generate an alarm event //denied!
                        GOTO input
                }
                //fall through to...
        }

        if it's permitted {
                if we've been told to audit log contents {
                        if we know how to decode this stream
                                generate type specific audit event
                        else
                                generate audit event
                }
                if we've been told to scan for viruses and we know
                        how to decode this stream {
                        decode it and scan for viruses //AV
                        if we detect a virus {
                                generate an alarm event
                                block rest of session //denied!
                        }
                }
                if we've been told to do IDS {
                        apply known signatures for this type of stream //IDS
                        if we detect an attack {
                                generate alarm event
                                block rest of session //denied!
                        }
                        apply statistics (anomaly detection) if appropriate
                }
                GOTO input
        }

        if it's denied {
                if honeypot functionality is requested for this service {
                        interact with the remote system
                        if we've been told to do IDS {
                                apply IDS signatures
                                generate alarms if appropriate at
                                        reduced priority
                        }
                        record whatever useful interactions for audit
                }
                record transaction summary
                GOTO input
        }

        Implementing classical IDS with a flow like the above
is just a matter of putting 2 boxes in series and plugging different
policies into them, or configuring the first one right. ;)

mjr.
---
Marcus J. Ranum                         http://www.ranum.com
Computer and Communications Security    mjr () ranum com