Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: GIDS, Intrusion Prevention: A Firewall by Any Other Name

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:52:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Crispin Cowan wrote:

Is anyone besides me sick to death of hearing about "intrusion
prevention" and "gateway intrusion detection" technologies? These are

Buzzword of the week stuff always frustrates me.

devices that sit in-line between the Internet and your LAN, apply
intrusion detection pattern matching rules to the content they see
streaming in to your site, and block the stuff they deem to be "bad."
The canonical example being the Inline SNORT (nee Hogwash) open source
project.

To me, this is a firewall. It is sitting in exactly the same place in
the network topology, performing the same function. It is using new
kinds of rules to distinguish "good" traffic from "bad", but it is
none-the-less a firewall.

I look at is as a signature-based firewall rather than a policy-based
firewall.

"Signature Firewall" or something. But lets dispose of "intrusion
prevention" in the tired hype bit bucket.

It's all that product differentiation stuff- how the heck are you gonna
get capital as a firewall vendor since the space is so well-carved out?

Paul