Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: GIDS, Intrusion Prevention: A Firewall by Any Other Name

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 17:53:44 -0700

Ofir Arkin wrote:

Hogwash is cool, do not forget it is open source and developed on the
spare time of Jed. At the end of the day it works well and provides
exactly what Jed tells you it provides.

As I said when I posted my rant, I'm not criticizing Hogwash per se. I think Hogwash is *very* cool. I just think it is a mistake to label it anything other than a kind of firewall (I suggest "signature firewall").

Of course, Hogwash is a lot less guilty of using funky labels to avoid direct comparisons to firewalls than the commercial signature firewall vendors. Jed does it in his spare time, and the commercial vendors stand to earn $ if they can sell stuff, and avoiding comparisons to Checkpoint|Raptor|Whale AirGap|pick-your-favorite-funky-firewall, that may help.

I'm just trying to consistently call a spade a spade. Inline IDS is a kind of firewall. Once that is understood, we can discuss the competative merrits, and the benefits of composing various kinds of firewalls in series. Say, there's an interesting thought:

   * NIDS compose in parallel:
         o clamp as many different NIDS onto your network as you can
           afford to monitor
         o more NIDS don't slow down your traffic at all
         o parallel NIDS can check for more/different kinds of
           intrusions in parallel, providing scaling
   * firewalls (including in-line IDS) compose in series
         o put as many in as you like, so long as *none* of them block
           your legitimate traffic
         o adding more firewalls increases latency, and throughput is
           limited to the throughput of your slowest device
         o serial firewalls can also scale to provide checking for
           more/different kinds of attacks, at the expense of the above
           latency and throughput issues

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.