Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: GIDS, Intrusion Prevention: A Firewall by Any Other Name

From: "Ofir Arkin" <ofir () sys-security com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:55:51 +0100

All,

I remember when we only had Proxies (application level gateways and
regular once) and packet filters. Than other concepts came along such as
"dynamic filtering" and "stateful inspection".

Today, at least for me, a "basic" firewall is not enough.
The features or at least what we expect to act against at the perimeter
is changed - we are simply looking to do more things and get rid of more
things at the perimeter where the old concepts do not work anymore.

We wish the firewall to understand the protocol, to analyze at least
some of the stuff traversing the firewall and to be able to drop packet
on issues other than source and destination port (G, I got that abstract
now, MJR might kick me :P)

So, for me, it is just ability list.

Look for Sidewinder and CheckPoint FW-1 NG (cool stuff there).

Hogwash is cool, do not forget it is open source and developed on the
spare time of Jed. At the end of the day it works well and provides
exactly what Jed tells you it provides.

Damn, we even did not get to the software vs. hardware issue and the
lovely fake tests on IDSs and firewalls (just a hint for MJR :P )

Cheers!

Ofir Arkin [ofir () sys-security com]
Founder
The Sys-Security Group
http://www.sys-security.com
PGP CC2C BE53 12C6 C9F2 87B1 B8C6 0DFA CF2D D360 43FA