Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Nokia interview questions

From: Peter Lukas <plukas () oss uswest net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:28:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 hesselsp () ashaman dhs org wrote:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 black () galaxy silvren com wrote:
Ouch.  I haven't met a vendor that made a product that could stand up to
the bandwidth very well.... except for Juniper.  I guess that ~200mb/s is
reasonable for a gig card. My guess would be the only reason why they came
out with this is because you can buy gig cards for linux and
solaris.  More of a marketing thing really.  How many free PCI slots on a
nokia?  mb/pci slot might be another reason.

Whether or not there are any free slots on a Nokia (i'd assume no more
than four) is not going to help you since so much as sneaking a peek
inside the box will void your warranty.

As for gigE cards in PC's, it seems a little silly unless you're placing
the adapter into a 64-bit PCI slot (a 32-bit standard PCI slot would be a
bottleneck). A better option would be to take a QuadFastE and drop it into
bridging mode (a linux system can do this quite easily). You'd then be
able to run 2 100Meg full interfaces on one IP. It'd be a relatively cheap
way to get better performance without taking the plunge to gigE (new card,
new switch, etc). Once again though, you could try this on a Nokia, but
don't think about getting any support for it. Also, if it's this kind of
speed you're after, you may want to up the ante on hardware, etc.

Well, the way I have always looked at it is, an over powered firewall
will likely have better latencies, less jitter, and less packet loss when
dealing with reasonable speeds.  Then again, I have never done a
"normal" firewall install.  Most people don't care too much about these
things... it seems.  I guess that people don't put firewalls between their
engineers and accounting.... so all you ever deal with is internet
connection.  A T1 or something.  Not Fast Ethernet.... or worse.

I did ask Checkpoint over and over again about which network card they
used in linux... or what rule base they used... I don't remember now if I
ever got an answer.

Typically, they benchmark with a 100-rule policy, and the bandwidth
clogger matching on the last rule. I would imagine that their GigE card
was the Netgear (a low-cost, Linux supported GigE). As with any benchmark,
theirs represented an unrealistic scenario reproduced across mismatched
hardware. I suppose treno, tcpblast and ttcp would have attempted to give
a more real-world scenario for a lab test.

Peter