Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Nokia interview questions

From: <black () galaxy silvren com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:36:07 -0400 (EDT)

Ok, not to post a major flame, but I disagree on a couple points.

As far as the hardware goes, what it runs really makes no difference as
long as it gets the job done. It makes no difference to me if it's running
a celeron, a pentium 4, a custom built chip or a strongarm. If you buy a
decently sized Nokia, like an IP650 then it should be able to handle
pretty much anything you throw at it unless you're dealing with gigantic
amounts of data. They do make gigabit interfaces for the Nokia firewalls,
and while I haven't seen any specifics on benchmarking, I don't think the
manufacturer would make an interface for their product if it could not
stand up to the bandwidth reasonably well. You may choose to argue this
point.

The Nokias can also include redundant fans and power supplies, as well as
hot swap cards. This is pretty different than a bargain basement PC.

I agree that for the majority of cases, your firewalls will only need to
support static routes and not need dynamic routing. Do you happen to have
a rough idea of how much extra dynamic routing costs? And is it purchases
as an entire package, or on a protocol basis? I see that it supports RIP
and OSPF, among others.

I'm not sure what you're driving at with the expensive management being
perl scripts. IPSO actually includes a version of tcl for all its
scripting, which is used in the Voyager web interface. I've never had to
purchase any additional scripts to manage the Nokias. Could you please
clarify this?

I also disagree that "management may be easier for the entry-level
firewall admin." There is no OS to harden, in contrast to NT, Solaris, and
Linux. To me, that translates to "easier to manage for all admins." Need
to upgrade a package or move to a new version of IPSO? Simply ftp the
image or package to the Nokia and make it active. Piece of cake.

The rest is pretty on the mark, the only other advice I'd give is to not
let "flows" be a major factor in choosing Checkpoint. So far, flows has
caused nothing but grief, and I don't know of a single person that has
chosen to implement it. Especially in HA situations, it is a disaster.

You have a lot of good info Peter.