Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Nokia interview questions

From: Oscar Wahlberg <oscar.wahlberg () home se>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:42:56 +0200

Hi,

Comments below

Quoting Subba Rao <subba9 () home com>:

We are bidding on a project with dual Nokia (Checkpoint) firewalls. Most of our
experience with Checkpoint is on Sun system. From what I understand
Nokia firewall is Checkpoint firewall. The customer is insisting on Nokia
experience. I don't know what OS runs on the Nokia system.

If you're an experienced unix admin handling the Nokia boxes shouldn't be a
problem. They run an OS dubbed IPSO which is IIRC based on a modified BSD
kernel. In general, another unix platform, some things differ, other don't.
In other words it's not harder for a Solaris admin to handle a Nokia box
compared to say for instance a Linux or BSD box, probably easier since it's
stripped down to the bare essentials.
Mind you, it does have it quirks, but notihing that should be a problem.
It worked flawlessly for me with something like 8 separate DMZs and high load.

Is there anything different about Nokia Checkpoint vs other platform(s) Checkpoint.

As for FW-1 diffrencies, I didn't notice any when I worked quite extensivly
with the IP440 a year ago, except that the service packs came slighlt after
the realse of the solaris versions. That might have changed, I know Nokia tried
to get them out faster.

We will be meeting with this customer again next week. Is there anything
specific to Nokia that I should know?

Hmmm, if they're into HA they'll probably know that you can use configure the
IP440/650's in a VRRP solution that works well (i.e /w state table failover).
Probably at least comparable to Stonebeat/Rainwall on SUN, but don't hold me to
that since I haven't looked to closely on that.

The really nice thing about the Nokia is that it's a stripped down OS, ideal
for disaster recovery. One of my boxes harddrive died, the secondary IP440 took
over (the customers never noticed) and worked flawlessly. When I got a new
harddrive it took me about an hour to have the primary in the _exact_ same
state as the previous harddrive.

Overall, I really liked the IP440/650's. Easy to learn, no nonsense,
extremly easy to deploy an masse, easy to manage etc...
I could get all of that from a Solaris machine as well, but that would
demand a jumpstart server and a lot more work.

Cheers,

--
Oscar Wahlberg <oscar.wahlberg(at)home.se>
"There are only two industries that refer to their customers