Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

DDOS Countermeasures RFC

From: "Karl Wolfgang" <karl_wolfgang () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 15:48:02 -0000

There are no solutions to defeating distributed denial of service attacks, only methods to mitigate the effects of zombies. I seek any opinions on whether our "corporate" policy is sufficient in attenuating DDOS risks or merely scratches the surface.

Our new policy seems to focus primary on ingress filtering of broadcast packets, egress filtering of spoofed IPs, and blocking default ports that DDOS programs use. The latter seems only effective in stopping script kiddies who rely on automated attacks: second generation programs such as TFN2 or Staldracht allow more experience attackers to configure ports and thus circumvent elementary port blocking. It seems that it would be possible to script a zombie or DDOS slave to choose random IPs from a compromised network in order to circumvent egress filtering; however, I have not read of any such capabilities yet.

New techniques such as packet marking or interjecting "tracer" packets into network flow are still under research, Therefore, in addition to packet filtering, a corporation could improve its capability to gather indications and warning data and limiting scope of attack by using current network techniques such as Cisco's Committed Access Rate. Apparently, one can set routers to throughput only a configured percentage of packets by protocol. We have considered developing SNMP traps that would alert a network operation center when CPU usage of network devices exceeds a certain level.

I have seen organizations opt for perimeter defenses comprised of static filtering on routers and network layer IDS. Firewalls can cause self-inflicted denial of service attacks when one has no clue as to what protocols were running on the inside. Yet stateful firewalls that can block nmap or RAMEN-like SYN/FIN scans are critical to prevent target acquisition of vulnerable computers and subsequent installation of DDOS aps.

Blueprints for building a better mousetrap many times remain on drawing boards for lack of funding or lackluster bureaucratic dynamics. I have seen executive- or policy-level computer security personnel apparently reserve funds for their own purposes rather than push money to the operation and maintenance level.

The article at http://www.msnbc.com/news/521044.asp rhetorically asks "What good is a Band-Aid if you don’t use it?" The mantra of harried sys admins continually lament lack of time for applying patches despite gurus chanting that lack of security application is the single greatest cause of root compromises (and thus laying the groundwork for DDOS aps installation).

Our one or two sys admins support 100 workstations, soon to double to 200. Do other companies support like ratios for those who provide all services from security to desktop support? Upper security management levies increasing requirements for increasing workstations. However, I have not been able to get them to recognize that centralized software management products can compensate for lack of technical personnel and are legitimate information assurance expenditures.

Attenuation of the DDOS threat requires defense-in-depth, from router filtering, to stateful firewalls, to configuration of network management devices, to the enlistment of additional administrators and technically savvy and financially resourceful executives. Comments welcome.