Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DDOS Countermeasures RFC

From: "Kalat, Andrew (ISS Atlanta)" <akalat () iss net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:04:26 -0500

I hate to be cynical, but...

In my <admittedly limited> thoughts on this, there's appears to be only
about two decently effective ways to fight a DDoS, or even a large DOS, in
progress.
1) Have your ISP react quickly. Good luck.
2) Switch IP space on whatever is being attacked. Again, good luck.
Depending on what's being attacked, this can be impossible. And this takes a
good amount of advance planning and preparation and still causes down time
as your DNS changes propogate. Assuming your DNS is still reachable. Not
only that, you'll need to stop routing the original address space at the
ISP. IE, stop your BGP propogation if you own you're own address space and
have two ASN's. However, with a NAT device, and quick DNS, this might be
possible without too much pain. If they are hitting web sites for
instance...

Once your pipe is filled, nothing else works well...

I've read a few of the idea's kicked around and most of them seem way to
relient on cooperative ISP's or upgrades to the protocols. Just doesn't seem
too likely to have anything realistic anytime soon, but I hope I'm wrong.

Andrew Kalat
IT Infrastructure Manager
ISS

Thoughts are my own, not my employeers, and most likely wrong. ;)