Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Air gap technologies

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:26:39 -0800

"Stiennon,Richard" wrote:

I agree with your analysis Avi. Whale is a strong application firewall with
granular control over what gets through. The physical air-gap stuff is not
as important as the GUI implementation they have developed.

None the less, I still have a serious problem with a vendor who is willing to
distort the truth to the extent that they refer to that device as an "air
gap."  Perhaps I mis-spoke my self in last September's debate, but my core
issue with Whale has always been the gross distortion in how they describe the
product.  I always thought it sounded like a reasonable design for an
application proxy firewall; my problem is that they won't 'fess up to that
being all that it is.

I'm really heartened to hear that Avi likes their design.  The product would
be truly scary if their engineering were as slip-shod as their marketing.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
Chief Research Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com