Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Air gap technologies

From: <rreiner () fscinternet com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:17:23 -0500

<flameXML timestamp="2001-01-19T15:03:14-07:00"
payloadID="963352994214">

<response author="Richard Reiner in a surly mood">
  <responsepart type="opinion">

We may as well all repeat together for the one millionth time:

  Security is not a FUNCTIONAL concept.

Features are nice, but they are not the main point.  (Anyone unclear on
what I mean by this should see Marcus' 1995 piece on "firewall testing"
at http://pubweb.nfr.net/~mjr/pubs/fwtest/index.htm).

If we thought about bridges the way some people think about firewalls,
all we'd care about would be how wide, how long, and how shiny the
paint is.

And bridges would be falling into the sea, left and right .... exactly
the way web sites allegedly "protected" by firewalls are.

What really matters in a perimeter defence (access control /
authentication / authorization) system?

 - Level of assurance
 - Failure modes
 - Trust model
 - Granularity
 - And lots of other difficult, unglamorous, non-marketable concepts --
like quality, committment, and seriousness

More and more, as the commercial infosec world fills up with
self-proclaimed experts who have only a shallow smattering of --
usually single-vendor-imparted -- product knowledge and no real depth
of understanding (sorry, as indicated above I'm in a surly mood about
this as I've had my hands full with some of these people lately, I am
not referring to any specific individual), the emphasis is on features
and functionality (not to mention pretty interfaces).

So long as this goes on, web sites will continue to fall into the sea.

 </responsepart>
 <responsepart type="facts">

  Where should we look for real differences between Whale's eGap and
proxy firewalls?

 - Level of assurance
 - Failure modes
 - Trust model
 - Granularity
 - And the rest, as above.

Looking at these areas, you'll find that the eGap design and
implementation do offer benefits, especially in terms of narrower
failures modes, and higher granularity.

This isn't global, across-the-board "superiority", by any means ... but
for some specific missions, the eGap does a better job than other
systems.  Conversely, for other missions, Gauntlet and other
application proxy firewalls are a better fit.

Those doing most of the yelling in this long ongoing "air gap" debate
might do well to look a little more closely at Whale's marketing
claims, which specifically do NOT suggest that the eGap is a
replacement for any type of firewall.  Different systems for different
requirements.
  </responsepart>
  <responsepart type="disclaimer">
I know, respect, and have done business with people at nearly all of
the companies involved on the various sides of this debate.
  </responsepart>
</response>
</flameXML>