Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Tools to correlate attacks b/w diff. logs

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:43:38 -0600 (CST)

Yes like swatch, though, if I recall, swatch was limited to one file,
while logcheck can monitor multiple files.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Bryan Swann wrote:

This sounds just like the tool called swatch that has been around for
awhile.  It monitors the log files and has several ways to alert an
administrator when it gets a hit.

"R. DuFresne" wrote:

Abstract

Logcheck is software package that is designed to automatically run and
check system log files for security violations and unusual activity.
Logcheck utilizes a program called logtail that remembers the last
position it read from in a log file and uses this position on subsequent
runs to process new information. All source code is available for review
and the implementation was kept simple to avoid problems. This package is
a clone of the frequentcheck.sh script from the Trusted Information
Systems Gauntlet(tm) firewall package. TIS has granted permission for me
to clone this package.

                        -- crowland () psionic com

http://www.lh.umu.se/%7Ebjorn/mhonarc-files/linux-securitity

Thanks,