Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Free NAT

From: sean.kelly () lanston com
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:00:45 -0400

From: Brock, Todd A [mailto:TB120060 () exchange DAYTONOH NCR com]

Robert,
I think you are touching on something that I have suspected
for some time
now.  Specifically that it is not a long term workable solution that
requires every single "host" have it's own globally unique IP address.
In the not to distant future our breaker panels, security systems, air
conditioners, toasters, etc. (ad vomiteum) will, all and every one, be
"network accessible".  I have thought for a while that  a scheme that
requires every single item that might need network
connectivity to have a
unique global address is and will continue to be unworkable.

I don't beleive that this was ever the intention.  How many people want or
need the whole world to be able to connect to and control their toaster?  I
personally beleive that NAT and similar methods will not fade after (or are
intended to be replaced by) the introduction of IPv6.

Sean