Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Free NAT for NT?

From: "Garman, Christopher" <GarmanCh () asa org>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:56:28 -0600

I'll join the pummeling.

The funniest part of the anti-NAT paper is "it requires the insertion of a
stateful inspection box into the middle of the end-to-end data stream.  Only
end systems should have state info."

Current industry practice is to insert a firewall between you and the
internet.  A firewall (a good one, anyway) is a stateful inspection box.
People are already committing the hardware/software/grayware to the
implementation of a stateful inspection box in the middle of the end-to-end
data stream so making the jump to NAT is not nearly a big a deal as the
anti-NAT paper makes out.  There are numerous other weaknesses in their
arguments but who's got the time?  People are using NAT, its working, get
over it.