Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Free NAT

From: "Ryan Russell" <Ryan.Russell () sybase com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:33:27 -0700

From: Brock, Todd A [mailto:TB120060 () exchange DAYTONOH NCR com]

Robert,
I think you are touching on something that I have suspected
for some time
now.  Specifically that it is not a long term workable solution that
requires every single "host" have it's own globally unique IP address.
In the not to distant future our breaker panels, security systems, air
conditioners, toasters, etc. (ad vomiteum) will, all and every one, be
"network accessible".  I have thought for a while that  a scheme that
requires every single item that might need network
connectivity to have a
unique global address is and will continue to be unworkable.

I don't beleive that this was ever the intention.  How many people want or
need the whole world to be able to connect to and control their toaster?  I
personally beleive that NAT and similar methods will not fade after (or are
intended to be replaced by) the introduction of IPv6.

Not me.  The mention of circuit breakers makes me shudder.  I can just
imagine someone flooding the $0.25 IP implementation with packets
in such a way as to cause the breakers to open and close repeatedly,
causing a fire.  I wouldn't want to subject myself to a denial-of-house
attack.

                         Ryan

P.S. Do you think I'll get into trouble when I want to firewall IP on
the AC lines coming into my house?  I could see PG&E wanting
to mandate IP access to my meter & breaker box. :)