Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Socks for the large company (2K+ people)

From: "Jan B. Koum " <jkb () best com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 15:53:52 -0700

Howdy again,

Right now our company (2,000 people) are protected by cisco's established
rule. Yes, bad - I know.

We will probably be converting 90% of the user population into RFC1918
space and placing them behind socks -- people will have to use socks to
get the internet. I am going to use Dante implementation of socks.

The question I have: if you ever had to do such transition, what are major
things I need to take a note of? What did you learn in the process? What
would you have differently?

Also, general opinion on what people think about doing socks (instead of
some sort of plug-gw or nat) are welcome. Feel free to reply to me and
I'll summarize. Thanks,

-- Yan