Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DMZ best practices

From: Dominique Brezinski <dom_brezinski () securecomputing com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:57:46 -0800

Ah, the reactive firewall model (point 2) - yes, an ID sensor outside the
firewall is necessary for such a configuration, but the usefulness of such
a configuration (as currently shipped by various vendors) is debatable.
Current solutions are highly vulnerable to abuse by a knowledgeable
attacker, but this is not to say that such technology could not be useful.

Refer to my other post for my thoughts on the point 1.  Point 3 should be
addressed by having the ID sensor on the same network as the protected
public servers, not outside the firewall (the data acquisition will be more
reliable) and the communication channel between the IDS and the firewall
will be better protected.

Dom