Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DMZ best practices

From: Jeromie Jackson <jeromie () garrison com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:08:17 -0800

At 04:03 PM 1/16/99 -0800, John Kozubik wrote:

Now, it is possible to put three NICs in your firewall, and then set up
a filtering policy between the outside world and machines off of NIC #1,
and set up a less stringent (or complete passthrough) filtering policy
between the outside world and machines off of NIC #2.
This is not exactly a DMZ, but a lot of vendors call it that.  This is,
at best, a psuedo DMZ, because the machines are still behind the
firewall.

I can think of 2 reasons why you would want to hang machines off a
third-interface of a firewall, as opposed to off a hub in from of the
firewall;

1.      Central Audit- If everything has to go across your firewall, there is a
centralized audit log.  This can be useful in watching what a potential
hacker did, for TCP/IP info, etc,etc..

2.  Centralized Access Control-  If you put your DMZ hosts outside the
firewall, you will need to implement ACLs on the routers, or properly
configure all the hosts in order to minimize the number of services you can
be attacked on.  If you place the machines off the third interface of the
firewall, you will have a GUI driven, centralized access control mechanism.
 Generally firewalls are easier to configure than router ACLs.

Now, what kind of machines would you put in the DMZ?  Not many, in my
opinion.  Mail, news, www, etc. should _always_ be behind a firewall
with a security policy in place.

Your  web server certainly should NOT be behind your firewall.  This would
completely compromise the function of the firewall.

I would also put a hub between the router and the firewall - even if you
don't connect a data collection machine there.  This way, if there is
ever an emergency and you need to throw something outside the firewall
(during an attack, for instance) you can do so without unplugging the
network briefly.  Also, you can put in a second or third collection
machine without disrupting network traffic.

Agreed..

Jeromie Jackson -CISSP
Garrison Technologies
760-633-1843