Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DMZ best practices

From: David LeBlanc <dleblanc () mindspring com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:11:28 -0500

At 09:11 AM 1/22/99 +0100, Security wrote:
Of course, an ID sensor outside the firewall is potentially vulnerable. When
the ID sensor has a second NIC you can monitor a network segment with no
protocol stack involved (on the first NIC) while also using an out-of-band
channel (on the second NIC) for communication with the ID sensor. When there
is a firewall between the second NIC and the internal network, you have a
well-protected ID configuration. I have seen several discussions about
cutting the transmit wires of the cable between the ID sensor and the
monitored network. In this case, the ID sensor is physically secured.

This is a bit of an interesting problem - it is quite common to run an IDS
with no stack attached, as it makes the IDS only vulnerable to its own bugs
on that interface.  I wouldn't recommend cutting the transmit wires, as you
might want your IDS to respond to certain inputs.  One scenario would be to
put the IDS reporting and control channels (2nd NIC) on a private network.
At this point, if someone can manage through physical access, or even
operator error to reattach the stacks to the external interfaces, we now
have a nice conduit to go right around the firewall.  A method I'd prefer
would be to set things up so that the IDS control needs to reach out
through the firewall, but such that the control interface is still
protected.  You still have the same problem, but then if the worst case
happens and the stack gets reattached and your IDS suddenly turns into a
router, they don't have a direct conduit to the soft, juicy insides.

You can monitor the DMZ with a sensor inside the DMZ. This is a proper
solution, but in my opinion, a well-protected sensor outside the firewall
does the same.

Something to consider here would be how detailed your decodes would be -
the sensor outside the firewall would very likely be looking at the most
traffic, so you'd probably want to reduce the number of decodes to get
better performance.  The DMZ should be seeing less traffic, and so should
have more things being checked for.

David LeBlanc
dleblanc () mindspring com