Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DMZ, defined.

From: Roger Nebel <roger () homecom com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 12:54:01 -0500

a concise, agreed upon glossary of security terms would be the greatest
contribution this list could make.  perhaps along the lines of what sans
did with hardening nt and "intrusion detection".  if steve, or someone
wanted to write the first draft that would be good.  or a
"brainstorming" then "multi-voting" approach ala tqm.  that would serve
the audit community and the engineering community which would enable
management to fund the "known" things as opposed to "all you security
fanatics keep arguing the same old religion..."

--roger

Adam Shostack wrote:
 [snip]

        As the engineering community, we have a duty to define terms
rigorously; your example of the poor definition of FW is an excellent
one.  If we had a standard that we could agree to, then we wouldn't
have the argument.  I'm perfectly willing to hand my proxy (ahem) to
Steve, if he's willing to be the language police and offer us a
glossary.  I may not agree with his definitions, but we can argue ad
infinitum to little effect, and so, for progress, I'll abstain.

Adam

--
                                                       -Hume