Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DMZ, defined.

From: Frederick M Avolio <fred () avolio com>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 10:49:16 -0500

This is my attempt to tick off the moderator. :-)

Randy, I understand your position and I don't want you to misunderstand
mine. I'm not suggesting we have to dictate or that there is a language
police. I was merely pointing to the person who originated the term, and so
should know what it means.

My point is: in a particular discipline --  be it building, carpentry,
glass blowing, medicine, genetics, or Internet security -- jargon or
technical language is used for precision. All disciplines have technical
terminology for this purpose. The attitude of "I will find out what someone
means by a term (even a well known term) to understand what they mean," is
noble and sounds like it helps communication. I think we can agree,
however, that it is counter to the whole point of technical jargon.

Fred
Avolio Consulting
16228 Frederick Road, PO Box 609, Lisbon, MD 21765
410-309-6910 (voice)            410-309-6911 (fax)
http://www.avolio.com