Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Looking for "lease based popper access"

From: sedwards () sedwards com
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 18:55:56 -0800 (PST)

The purpose of limiting access based on IP address is NOT authentication.

Imagine that a new "sploit" for POP (or SSH) is unleashed at 5:15pm, after
most of my competitors have gone home for the weekend. While they are
being decimated all weekend long, I'll be resting peacefully because most
of the hackers can't even connect to my server.

In physical terms, the "border router" is the moat, "dynamic" tcp wrappers
is the drawbridge, and the "secret pass phrase" is the key.