Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Looking for "lease based popper access"

From: sedwards () sedwards com
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 11:15:02 -0800 (PST)

I use tcp wrappers a lot when I configure client networks. I figure if the
script kiddies can't connect, they can't do a lot of damage -- assuming
tcp wrappers isn't exploitable :)

This works pretty good for most services except POP. Traveling employees
need to get to their email from where ever they are.

What I'm looking for is something where an employee can get a temporary
"lease" to access POP from their current IP address.

I'm thinking that I could hack on tcp wrappers to look at an external
file (or maybe an Oracle table) for allowable connections.

Thus, when an employee was rejected access, they would send an email
that would invoke a procmail script that would add their IP address to
the file or table with an expiration date. Then the employee would not
be inconvenienced again until the lease expired.

Not wanting to re-invent wheels, does anybody know of some existing
code to do this or something similar?

Thanks in advance,
Steve Edwards      sedwards () sedwards com      Voice: +1-760-723-2727 PST
Newline            Pager: +1-888-478-5085           Fax: +1-760-731-3000