Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN solution needed (linux<->win32) or (nt<->win32)

From: Vincent Illaire <Illaire () PenguinPowered com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 01:36:21 +0100

Mailing Lists wrote:
First scenario (preferred):  what would be a free VPN solution using my
existing linux fw?

FreeS/WAN on Linux, or CIPE.

FreeS/WAN is an IPSec implementation on Linux.

Stay away for ssh, it's a very bad idea to encapsulate TCP in TCP (lots
of timeouts problems).

Second: what would be a non-free using my linux?

Firewall-1 for Linux ?

third: what are the alternatives using NT as a FW?

Lots! Firewall-1, FirstVPN, pptp (not to secure), ssh.com, the
gauntlet...

I search and read on the subject, but would rather like to ear from
personal experience on the field.

Firewall-1 is quite commun, and exists on a lot of architecture. I think
the desktop VPN client is free (as beer).

--
  Freelance Sécurité, Système Unix & NT, Réseaux, et Logiciels Libres.
  Consultant Indépendant (Astux)    AFUL / Apodeline / CLA / SCG