Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: UNIX to NT

From: David C Niemi <niemi () tux org>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 16:22:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 mreiter () gwillness osd mil wrote:
I'm attempting to hook up my test firewall (on a BSD UNIX box) to an NT
box.  Both computers can send and receive valid pings - but only as a
loopback.  If I ping the UNIX machine from the NT machine, it sees the ping
but does not respond.  Same for pinging the other direction.  arp
broadcasts are ok.  A UNIX administrator, an NT administrator, and a
network engineer cannot find any configuration errors.  In short - there's
a continuous wire, 2 correctly configured (I think) boxes, packets moving,
and no communication.  Any ideas how the two can be made to talk?

3 guesses:
-       Your boxes are not agreeing on duplex, i.e. one is half and the
        other is full.  This is autonegotiated as you bring interfaces up,
        bringing them up in a different order may help.

-       If it is a packet filtering firewall, perhaps it is filtering out
        your packets.

-       Perhaps your "null Ethernet" cable is not quite right.

I imagine a routing problem would have been detected by now...

---  David C Niemi ---niemi at tux.org---  Reston, Virginia, USA  ---
           Da mihi sis crustum Etruscum cum omnibus in eo.