Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: UNIX to NT

From: Chris Cappuccio <chris () empnet com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 16:02:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 mreiter () gwillness osd mil wrote:

I'm attempting to hook up my test firewall (on a BSD UNIX box) to an NT
box.  Both computers can send and receive valid pings - but only as a
loopback.  If I ping the UNIX machine from the NT machine, it sees the ping
but does not respond.  Same for pinging the other direction.  arp
broadcasts are ok.  A UNIX administrator, an NT administrator, and a
network engineer cannot find any configuration errors.  In short - there's
a continuous wire, 2 correctly configured (I think) boxes, packets moving,
and no communication.  Any ideas how the two can be made to talk?

What sort of BSD unix?

Perhaps IP forwarding is not turned on...

Try 'man sysctl', using sysctl in most variations of BSD you can turn on
fowarding (routing...) or using option IPFOWARDING (??) in your kernel
config 'man options'

---
"We are the most voracious consumers in the world; a world that
could die because of the way we North Americans live..."

http://www.adbusters.org/