Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: UNIX to NT

From: Noller2G () kochind com
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 07:47:09 -0500

Could it be that you need a crossover cable?

Greg
<<<+)))

On Thursday, September 10, 1998 2:41 PM, Ryan Russell
[SMTP:ryanr () sybase com] wrote:
Well, since you seem to know what you're doing,
and it still doesnt work, I'm going to ask obvious questions
and ask you to repeat tests...I'm not trying to sound degrading..
just clarify.  Unfortunatly, in text, it looks about the same :)

I'm attempting to hook up my test firewall (on a BSD UNIX box) to an NT
box.  Both computers can send and receive valid pings - but only as a
loopback.

Meaning that they can both ping 127.0.0.1?  Which only tells you that your
IP stack is at least partially functional.

If I ping the UNIX machine from the NT machine, it sees the ping
but does not respond.

How do you know it "sees" the ping?  Was this verified by packet
capture, or by watching netstat counters go up, or what?  How do you know
it doesn't respond?

arp
broadcasts are ok.

Meaning you see them on the wire, or when you do an arp -a you
see the proper MAC addresses cached?

A UNIX administrator, an NT administrator, and a
network engineer cannot find any configuration errors.

I usually keep doubling the number of enginners until the problem is fixed
:)

In short - there's
a continuous wire, 2 correctly configured (I think) boxes, packets
moving,
and no communication.  Any ideas how the two can be made to talk?

Counseling?

Seriously... sounds like perhaps there's some packet filtering going on?
Use the built-in tools (netstat, arp) and check counters to make sure the
IP
stacks are in fact getting the packets.  Check your route tables (netstat
-r) to make sure one
of the boxes doesn't think the other is in some other direction.  Check
subnet masks
to make sure they both believe themselves to be on the same subnet.

                              Ryan