Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: why isn't there a newer linux fw-howto

From: "Kevin T. Shivers" <kshivers () tis com>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 12:16:04 -0400

At 01:34 AM 10/2/98 +1000, Darren Reed wrote:

So long as you don't have any cards which are at IRQ's and IO-MEM
combinations that it doesn't know about.  Trying to guess what it
wants when asking for "specific options" is not fun, and neither
does it tell you which CD-ROM drive it is using as "scd0" nor does
it tell you select between scd0 and scd1 to install from.

Just some minor irritations that have annoyed me recently.

that's why i've moved on to FreeBSD/OpenBSD. the pre-install configuration
of IRQs, IO ports, etc. is *very* nice.

[...]
FreeBSD is an excellent choice, since it is
*extremely* easy to install and it is very easy to configure for a
firewall.

FreeBSD is (still) the easiest free Unix to install.

installation is only the first step. configuration with FreeBSD is also
very easy to do and thats part of the reason why I was recommending
FreeBSD. firewall configuration is also very easy. ipfw is very well
documented and supported by the FreeBSD community, and stuff like the TIS
FWTK is easy to add in since that code was mainly developed on a
BSD/Solaris/SunOS environment. I see hundreds of 'how do I get the FWTK to
work under Linux?' go by on the FTWK list here at TIS, and almost no 'how
do I get the FTWK to work under *BSD?' Oh well, just my $.02

Darren

kts