Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: why isn't there a newer linux fw-howto

From: "Huger, Alfred" <Alfred_Huger () NAI com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 17:36:26 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Perry E. Metzger [SMTP:perry () piermont com]
Sent: Monday, October 05, 1998 1:12 PM
To:   Adam Shostack
Cc:   Matt Curtin; Kevin T. Shivers; Andy Burns; firewall-wizards () nfr net
Subject:      Re: why isn't there a newer linux fw-howto

Adam Shostack writes:
I'll be a contrarian.  The Linux audit project is going full steam,
and has found lots of interesting stuff.  Freebsd is great for desktop
systems, and comes easy to use, but its a lot more work to take it to
FW ready.  If you want a BSD system, try openbsd.

OpenBSD is no better for security applications than any other BSD, in
spite of the extreme hype, but lets not get into that particular flame
war here right now.

        [Huger, Alfred]

        Much like Perry, I am somewhat partisan in this issue. This being
said, I feel this whole thing is somewhat a moot point. Any OS you deploy as
a firewall needs to be locked down, significantly. I feel it comes down to
with what you're more comfortable deploying. If you're more familiar with
Linux, use it. The same is true for OpenBSD etc. At the end of the day you
still need to maintain this box and ensure it meets your needs. Use the
right tool for the right job I suppose.

        Alfred Huger
        Network Associates Inc.