Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Trusted Unices Aren't?

From: Gordon Greene <Gordon.Greene () netsec net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:59:34 -0500

I certainly agree that there *is* a B1 VMS and that it's real B1 (i.e.,
it's been evaluated, and not just marketing hype).  What I said was that
VMS probably wasn't *designed* to be MLS.  Just as there are several
evaluated B1 (and even B2) UNIX systems doesn't mean that UNIX was
*designed* to be MLS.

I certainly wouldn't argue that.  I think Multics was the first OS designed
with MLS in mind.  I don't have direct experience with it, so I don't know
how far it got, but I distinctly recall Multics being the origin of
security labels in an OS.

There's a Multics history page at:

   http://www.best.com/~thvv/history.html

That info is probably hung off there someplace.