Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Trusted Unices Aren't?

From: ICMan <shane_mason () securecomputing com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:52:30 -0500

B1 and below do not require breaking up root.  B2 and above do.  It
really
has nothing to do with the MLS model.  I believe that CMW+ *does* break
up
root, but I'm not sure of that.  It may also be a configuration option.

"breaking up root" in kernel is useless if you keep running utilities
and daemons suid root..

That really depends on how root is broken up.  If a separate protection
mechanism is built into the kernel and all environments, then processes can
be segregated.  Even system calls can have attributes attached to them.
 This is a lot of work, but it can certainly be done.

Read "Type Enforcement for Firewalls" at
http://www.securecomputing.com/TE_WP.pdf

It's not a terribly technical document, but it explains the structure of a
protection mechanism that restricts the privileges of the root user.  root
is still root, but can only effect portions of the system at a time, and
other portions of the system are still unavailable for root to access.

ICMan