Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Trusted Unices Aren't?

From: Gordon Greene <Gordon.Greene () netsec net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:46:35 -0500

At 09:38 AM 10/30/98 -0500, David Collier-Brown wrote:
I always thought I'd missed out on something historical by being too late
for Multics.  And, while it's nice to have things look normal for a regular
user, doing trusted programming on a system that makes it tough to see what
you are working on is no tasty treat.

      I was only in one compartment/level, and so
      didn't need to know all the complex stuff.

      If I was in several, I would have had visibility
      into each.

Do you mean because of label dominance, or could you just have several
(possibly incomparable) labels going at once?
If it was that, how would things get sorted out and done at the appropriate
level?