Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Trusted Unices Aren't?

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:56:57 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, dreamwvr wrote:

hi,
   actually there are products that have been pumped out for
"secure web server" market that really are... Ever heard of
virtual vault. Looks real good to me. Uses a Plan 9 approach to

VV wasn't very touted wide and far, I think that the whole "volume over
unit price" argument has escaped the "secure OS" market.  At this point,
that's why I think RSBAC has some merit, if you can get it free, then the
vendors may have to follow, since there doesn't seem to be sufficient market
to drive it as a vertical, and nobody seems to be asking for these kinds
of things in general OS' "just because."

access control which if you read the info on this product is
very impressive. Also thru the grapevine the plan 9 project is
being reved up:) This is the most fascinating os out there ALIMHO.

Well, I've been following 9fans ever since it started, and my impression
was that all the energy migrated to the next OS-to-be, but I've just been
skimming the messages for about a year, and not reading most of them.

Well it has been a while but hps 'virtual vault' looks like they
took the lessons learned so far from plan 9 and wrapped it into a
commercial secure web server. Would love to analyse it further
but....

I'd thought the VV stuff was mostly purchased or CMW and all pre-Plan9.
I could be wrong though.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280