Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Trusted Unices Aren't?

From: David Collier-Brown <davecb () canada sun com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:00:30 -0500

Gordon Greene wrote:
I certainly wouldn't argue that.  I think Multics was the first OS designed
with MLS in mind.  I don't have direct experience with it, so I don't know
how far it got, but I distinctly recall Multics being the origin of
security labels in an OS.

        Actually it was designed for a much weaker but non-trivial
        security model, and was laboriously upgraded to B2.
        There was some speculation at the time that it was more
        like B(1 7/8)...

        What was nice for a dumb user (me) is that mandatory
        access controls were almost invisible: I never knew that
        some things were protected from me: I couldn't see them!

There's a Multics history page at:

   http://www.best.com/~thvv/history.html

--dave (formerly DRBrown.TSDC () Hi-Multics ARPA) c-b
--
Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb () hobbes ss org, canada.sun.com
N2M 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb