Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Load Balancing using the Firewall

From: Andrew Yeomans <andrew_yeomans () uk ibm com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 11:21:13 +0000

Diego P. Vásquez B. <dvasquez () marc-harris com> writes:
We have two internet connections to different ISPs and we are interested
in implementing load balancing and fault tolerance.  The ISPs themselves
are reluctant to configure BGP or OSPF routing schemes for load
balancing on the IP level, so now we're interested in a firewall product
that will support load balancing and fault tolerance of both the
firewall boxes as well as internet connection availability of the ISPs.

I'd recommend you look into IBM's eNetwork Dispatcher (formerly known
as Interactive Network Dispatcher, and being bundled into WebSphere) on
http://www.software.ibm.com/enetwork/dispatcher/. This can be combined
with IBM Firewall (on same or different system), and I don't see any
reason why other firewall products should not work either. It works by
redirecting IP packets to the least-loaded processor, so providing
load balancing and fault tolerance.

Also see the HACMP (high availability cluster multi-processing) product
on http://www.rs6000.ibm.com/software/Apps/hacmp/. This can be configured
to reconfigure on failure of processor/adapter/network/etc.

To design the detailed configuration, you will need to consider how
much fault-tolerance you can afford, and where the risks are (e.g. are
there any single points of failure in the final design, incuding the
existing network).

Andrew_Yeomans () uk ibm com,                      Installation Support Centre,
EMEA  Network  Computing  Software  and  e-business  Centre  of  Competence,
MP 3GS, IBM UK Ltd, 1 New Square, Bedfont Lakes, Feltham, Middlesex,TW14 8HB
Tel: +44-181-818-4288 Int: 36-4288 Fax: +44-181-818-5475 Pager: 01523-494985

"non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem" William of Ockham