Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: a long response to a Short note on new Laws

From: Technical Incursion Countermeasures <lists () ticm com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 12:31:51

The small problem is that the line of when you are a locksmith and burglar
become blurred in this business.  Who when doing an internet job has hit
only upon the client and no other machines.  Granted there is a
get-out-of-jail-free card from the client, but, you are still hitting these
other people w/o their consent.  And it often takes getting in before you
can determine its owner.

Interesting - I personally never run tests remotely - the risk of revealing
holes to third parties is too high for me the consider on an ethical basis.
I test from immediately behind the border router.

Bret
Technical Incursion Countermeasures
consulting () bwa net                      http://www.ticm.com/
ph: (+61)(08) 9454 2487(UTC+8 hrs)      fax: (+61)(08) 9454 6042

The Insider - a e'zine on Computer security
http://www.ticm.com/info/insider/index.html