Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Proxy 2.0 secure?

From: "David Newman" <dnewman () cmp com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 23:19:51 -0400

Shane,

I agree that our security testing could be more stringent--as could
everyone else's. But there are a couple of pieces of misinformation in your
message:

1. NSTL uses a variety of scanners (including Ballista), IDS products, and
its own custom-developed software in testing security. We used only ISS
Safesuite *in this instance.* We can argue about the merits of that
decision, but as a point of fact the article did not suggest other tools
were used.

I fully agree that scanners' reports are only a starting point. Safesuite
returned a number of false positives (as has been the case with every
scanner I've used, BTW). SCC and all other vendors were given complete test
results before publication. Several vendors demonstrated to us that
"vulnerabilities" flagged by ISS were in fact false positives, and we did
not report a vulnerability in these instances.

2. Your statement that "when doing performance testing, NSTL did not
require any security measures to be enabled" is false.

In case you no longer have the test plan sent to SCC before this test, let
me remind you that performance testing required vendors to configure their
devices to enforce a specific rule set allowing only a few services and
also requiring that network address translation be enabled. This rule set
differed from the security testing scenario because of our need to use
switches in front of the traffic generators to fully load the test bed, but
it was no more and no less secure. It was different, that's all.

All performance measurements for all products were taken with this same
configuration. SPF products were generally faster than ALG proxies because
there's less processing involved (duh). This is a fact. I have no desire to
engage in yet another SPF-vs.-proxies debate; there are cases where proxies
deliver security features that SPF designs can't, and there situations
where SPF designs make more sense. As the article noted, each type of
product is beginning to adopt features of the other.

dn

ICMan <shane () tor securecomputing com> on 07/03/98 07:38:22 PM

Please respond to "shane () tor securecomputing com"
      <shane () tor securecomputing com>