Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxy 2.0 secure?

From: John McDermott <jjm () jkintl com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 98 08:36:57

--- On Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:52:40 -1000 (HST)  NetSurfer
<netsurf () sersol com> wrote:

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Brian Steele wrote:

I don't know who you are quoting (I forget the orig poster, sorry), but
my
problem with dynamic DHCP is less with the dynamic-ness than the short
leases. The issue is that if the leases are short (e.g. less than a few
weeks even), it is virtually impossible to track down a misbehaving
system
because it is difficult to map between MAC and IP addresses. This problem
can be alleviated with long leases: I suggest a year or so.

Also remember that MS DHCP automatically gives the lease renewal the same
IP address unless the address is no longer available.  So long as the
address has not been given out to a different workstation (which should
only happen if the node had been down long enough for a new w/s to get the
IP) or had not been reserved (manually) the MAC <=> IP should behave
statically regardless of having a short lease.

Clearly.  The issue is that many (most?) folks who use dynamic DHCP with
short leases do so because the number of machines is larger than the pool
of free addresses.  This leads to the problem I noted.

Even though one can sift through logs to find the owner of an address at a
given time, I still prefer really long leases or static addresses.

--
James D. Wilson
netsurf () sersol com

"non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem"
   William of Ockham (1285-1347/49)

--john