Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxy 2.0 secure?

From: tqbf () pobox com
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 20:17:24 -0500 (CDT)

I'm sorry you're attacking me, for we are actually in violent agreement

It is not my intention to attack you; I simply have problems with the
manner in which conclusions appear to have been reached in an article you
wrote.

you that running a finite, known set of attacks against a properly
configured device does *not* mean a device is secure.

You should be more careful with your wording. Running a finite number of
exploits or attack signature generators against a device does not mean
that a device is secure, in general or from the underlying vulnerabilities
exploited/assessed by your attack tools.

Also, a clarification: ISS Safesuite has multiple modules, including one
that is intended for use against *firewalls,* not end-systems. It was this

NetSonar and CyberCop Scanner also have firewall testing modules (CCS
focusses on firewalls and routers) --- but I wouldn't rely on metrics from
either product to make conclusions about the security of a firewall
product. Apparently you agree, and I'm misunderstanding you, but I would
like to clarify the fact that this isn't an ISS vs. NAI issue (I think ISS
would agree with my logic here).

Thomas H. Ptacek                           SNI Labs, Network Associates, Inc.
http://www.pobox.com/~tqbf       "If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"