Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: WORM file system for logging

From: "Andrew J. Luca" <andrewluca () mediaone net>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 21:06:36 -0400

We looked into this at a former employer for storing both firewall and funds
transfer information from a UNIX based server.  Although we decided not to
implement it, we found that it was still possible to delete files from the
WORM drive since the drive relied upon the standard UFS based structures.

        However, the mitigating factor was that although it would be possible to
destroy log files, the data was still recoverable by reading the disk a
block at a time and writing it out to a file.  Not a fun solution but it
works.

Just a thought.

Drew