Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: AltaVista Tunnel

From: "Joseph S. D. Yao" <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:11:13 -0400 (EDT)

At 04:09 PM 10/14/97 -0500, Eric Dykema wrote:
I'm getting ready to implement a VPN and one of the products being
evaluated is AltaVista Tunnel 97.  We need to pass traffic to both UNIX
boxes and PCs over the Tunnel.  I can't seem to do NetBEUI sessions over
the Tunnel product.  ...
suspect the cause might be that NetBEUI is unroutable and can't be
routed thru the Tunnel server.

We regularly mount NT-server based file shares across an AltaVista Tunnel.
I am certainly NOT an expert on the fwtk based FW, but I am pretty certain
that the AltaVista
FWs are only passing TCP packets through the generic proxy.

If he is saying "NetBEUI", my understanding is that this is RAW NetBIOS
over IP on the network, as opposed to NetBIOS over TCP over IP.

If the NetBIOS is not being carried by TCP (i.e., it's NetBEUI), then
it can't be routed normally.  If AltaVista FW only passes TCP, then of
course it won't pass raw NetBEUI.

Not that I ever wanted to know anything at all in the world about
NetBIOS or NetBEUI, but the rot has set in.  This is some of what I
have been told.  SAMBA only supports NetBIOS over TCP.  Syntax TAS
supports both, but I have yet to get it to work.

Cf., e.g., <URL: http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leeuw/samba/smb.html>.

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO Computer Support                                          EMT-A/B